Monday, October 18, 2004

Thick Sauce


Spaghetti Feed


Had the (only going to do it once) pleasure of entertaining seven of my students yesterday. The plan was to meet at the school at 10:45 and ride our bikes back to my apartment. Found the boys a little way down the street from the school and we took off for Hanbit town, my apartment complex. Wish I could have taken a picture of the four boys following in a neat line, with there foreign English teacher in the lead. These kids play way to many vids cause they were wrecked after the ten minute peddal accross town.
Got to the house by 11 and the boys jumped all over the computer and the guitar. Excellent at the comp, but shat at the guitar. They're one up on me...
After about 20 minutes of passing out dougnuts and instructions on not touching the key board with powdered sugar covered fingers, the girls showed up. Much more interested in being social and not at all interested in the cyber world, the girls were way more fun. They came hungry and were eager to get the cooking process in motion. So I produced the produce, and the cutting commenced. The girls really wanted to do all the cutting and the cooking. I was a bit weary of large knives and missing fingers, so I tried my best to teach proper cutting techniques and, probably more luck that anything, there wasn't a drop of blood spilled.
The spaghetti came out fabulous even with the shitty store bought sauce. Would have been better if I had used only tomatoes, boiled and skinned and reduced, but who the hell has time for that. Besides, I don't think the kids would have known the difference.
After lunch it was Spider Man II on the computer while I took a nap. The girls took off about half way through. I can't blame them, the boys, including me, being as boring as we were. After the movie I made the boys head out cause I was wrecked. With only three hours of sleep the night before, I was about to pass out.
It's good to hang out with the kids. It's funny how far they push me in class compared to how well they listen outside of school. I think it's days like these that'll make me a good father someday. I feel fortunate to have this opportunity to understand how kids work before I ever think of having one of my own. Great way to spend a Sunday.

No comments: